Home vs. In-office Whitening
By Dr. Tim Simpson on September 26, 2013
Teeth whitening treatments can quickly transform the appearance of your smile and make you look years younger. When it comes to teeth whitening treatments, are home teeth whitening options as good as in-office treatments? Cosmetic dentist Tim Simpson, who serves San Angelo TX residents, offers this overview of teeth whitening treatments to help you understand what home treatments versus in-office treatments have to offer.
At-Home Teeth Whitening Treatments
With so many teeth whitening treatments available over the counter, it can be overwhelming trying to figure out which treatment to use. Some at-home whitening options, like mouth washes and toothpastes, can be combined to increase whitening strength while others must be used alone. At-home teeth whitening treatments include:
- Whitening toothpastes: Whitening toothpastes gradually brighten the teeth. Whitening toothpastes use special enzymes or mild abrasives to remove surface stains. A side effect of whitening toothpastes is increased tooth sensitivity, which may require the use of such toothpastes to be limited.
- Whitening mouthwashes: Whitening mouthwashes, or rinses, work slower than whitening toothpastes. Many whitening toothpastes are designed to be used with a corresponding whitening rinse. Check package instructions before using both whitening mouthwash and whitening toothpaste together.
- Whitening trays: Custom whitening trays, along with a professional whitening solution, can be provided by a dentist. This approach is generally faster acting than whitening toothpastes and rinses. Whitening trays fit over the teeth like a mouth guard. A whitening gel is placed within the trays and the trays are worn over the teeth for an indicated amount of time.
- Whitening gel strips: There are different types of gel strips available but in general, gel strips are worn up to two hours every day over a period of 10 to 20 days. The duration in which gel strips must be worn depends on the gel strip system you choose, as well as the desired whitening results.
In-Office Teeth Whitening Treatments
In-office teeth whitening treatments are more effective and faster acting than at-home treatments. There are a number of in-office teeth whitening treatments. Dr. Simpson offers the following in-office techniques:
- LUMIBRITE® Teeth Whitening: The LUMIBRITE® teeth whitening system can drastically improve the brightness of your smile in as little as one 30 to 60 minute treatment. LUMIBRITE® uses a hydrogen peroxide-based bleaching gel that, when combined with the special Sapphire™ whitening lamp, dissolves discoloration and stains from the teeth to whiten the teeth seven to 12 shades, depending on the duration of treatment.
Find Out Which Treatment Is Right For You
To find out which treatment is right for you or for more information about teeth whitening, schedule a consultation with Dr. Simpson.
Related to This
“I have used Dr Simpson for the last 20 years. I cannot say enough about how friendly, awesome and amazing he AND his staff are. I highly recommend him and his office! Amazing care and people!” Terri C.